Width at front after remodelling in 1660: c. 3.2 metres
The Affe was an inn for Jews within the Judengasse. It was built in 1461/62, making it one of the first houses built during the creation of the Judengasse.
The inn belonged to the community. In 1660 the Affe was bought by Aron Fuld and turned into a private house. It was given the name Glocke, after a house occupied by Jews in the days before the ghetto, which originally stood in today's Fahrgasse.
The inn also housed the publican of the time, such as the famous Knebel. Frequently the job was passed from father to son or soninlaw. Another occupant in the 16th century was the surgeon Oscher from Wimpfen, and several butchers with their families.
After Aaron Fuld remodelled the house and renamed it the Glocke, the occupants seem to have been more prosperous people. Aron Fuld himself held office as a "master builder" in the Jewish Community. In the 18th century the occupants included a rabbi and a jeweller.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1884 the city took it over for demolition.