< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzer Ring

Width at front: c. 3.3 metres

The Schwarzer Ring was built in 1604 by the wealthy Leser Günzburg. This was the second time the name Schwarzer Ring had been assigned, following the demolition of a nearby house of this name.
For about 100 years the house was occupied by members of the Günzburg family, which came from the Swabian town of Günzburg on the Danube. Other inhabitants included the descendants of Joel from Fürth, after he acquired right of residence in 1634.
At the end of the 17th century there were three families living in the house. One of them ran a moneylending and moneychanging business. The motherinlaw of the head of another family worked as a wetnurse.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1868 the city took it over for demolition (E001).


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources