Width at front: c. 3.3 metres
The Grüner Hut was built in 1584 by Israel von Emden. He came from the neighbouring Weißer Schwan. The Emden family was possibly the secondoldest Jewish family in Frankfurt. The members of the Emden family living here also took the name Grünhut or Hut from their family home.
At the end of the 17th century there were two families lving here, including the only notary living in the Judengasse at that time.
One occupant at the start of the 18th century was David Nathan, who later became the yeshiva rabbi. After a dispute with another Jew he left Frankfurt, became a rabbi in Idstein and then returned as the yeshiva rabbi. His soninlaw, Löw Alexander from Amsterdam, applied to be baptised a christian in 1715, but then reportedly left the city without being baptised and returned to Amsterdam.
In the mid18th century the Emmerich family, who also lived here, took the family name Gomperz or Gumperz. The Gumperzsche Siechenhaus, a home for the chronically ill, is named after the family.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1879 the city took it over for demolition