< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldenes Faß

Width at front: c. 2.5 metres
The Goldenes Faß was built in 1599. Originally the site was occupied by the very large Traube, which was c. 7.7 metres wide. In 1599 this was demolished and replaced by three new houses, which were very narrow and only c. 2.5 metres wide. The southernmost of these houses was built by Moses zur Traube and was named Goldenes Faß.
In the 16th and 17th centuries the house was occupied by members of the Maas and Gans families. Among other occupations, they were engaged in moneylending and moneychanging and in the fur trade. After the fire of 1711 Beer Hamburger had the house rebuilt. It was subsequently occupied by his descendants and by members of the Stiebel family up to the mid19th century.
In 1864 the city took over the house for demolition .


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources