< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology


Rote Traube

Width at front: c. 2.5 metres

The Traube was originally a very large house with a width of 7.7 metres. In 1599 it was demolished, and three new and very narrow houses (c. 2.5 metres wide) were built on the site. The middle house was named Rote Traube.
In the 17th century the occupants included members of the Urschel family, also known as Orschel or Ursel, and the branch of the family named Traub after the house. The Urschel family was very prosperous. The Frankfurt historian Alexander Dietz writes that one of its members, Salomon zur Roten Traube, entered into large supply contracts in 1691 and 1692 with the local corn office. The visitation list for 1694 notes on the other hand that one of the families living in the house dealt in iron. The other two families were classed as foreigners. They came from Worms and stated that they "were very poor".
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1868 the city took over the house for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources