< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology



Width at front: c. 2.7 metres

The Weinheber was built around 1600. It stood on a site where previously the Schwarzes Schild and Weißes Schild had stood. After they were demolished around 1599 two new houses were built, one of which was given the old name Weißes Schild while the other was now called Weinheber. The house sign showed a "wine cradle".
From 1610 the house were occupied by members of the Landau family. They had moved here after their house, the Goldener Bär, was acquired by the HaasKann family. The Landau family lived at the Weinheber for over two hundred years.
At the end of the 17th century there two families were living here and working in the textile trade (B039): one dealt in "needles and thread", the other in "woollen cloth".
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1863 the city took over the house for demolition.

© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources