< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weißer Spiegel

Width at front: c. 2.5 metres

The Weißer Spiegel was originally called Spiegel. It was built at the start of the 16th century by Zalman Gelhäuser. After this he brought his parent, "fat Meier" and Hitzle from Windecken into the house. In 1537 his father paid the house tax for the Spiegel.
At the end of the 17th century there were three families living in the house. Two of them dealt in linen and one worked as a moneylender and moneychanger. It was around this time that the Goldener Spiegel was built, so that the original Spiegel was renamed Weißer Spiegel. The house is also the source of the family name Spiegel.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took over the house for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources