< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Mohr

Width at front: c. 3.2 metres

The Mohr was built around 1583. It was split off from the Flasche. The name is derived from the house sign which shows a black head with broad lips. The house was also called Schwarzer Mohr ("blackamoor") or Mohrenkopf ("moor's head").
The first occupant of the house was Weismann Ben Eliezer, who came to Frankfurt from Göttingen at the end of the 16th century. In 1618 he was given permission to remodel the house. Several years later the occupant Meule zum schwarzen Mohr took service as a soldier under the false name Emanuel Mohr, without being baptised first. He was hanged as a traitor on a military gallows and left hanging for 12 days before burial.
From the 18th century the house was entirely occupied by members of the Schuster family, also known as Öttingen. They came from the Weiße Kanne.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1865 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources