< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Strauß

Width at front: c. 3.7 metres

The Goldener Strauß was built by the Jewish community around 1573 to house the gravedigger. It was first called Krug. It belonged to the Jewish community. Around 1690 the bookseller Nathan Maas bought the house and turned it into a private house. As the bookseller had previously lived in the rear building of the Strauß the house was given the name Goldener Strauß.
Nathan Maas was the owner of the Maas'sche Buchhandlung bookshop, a wealthy man of standing in the community. For 26 years he held the office of "master builder" in the Jewish community. The visitation list for 1694 shows his bookshop together with his soninlaw's jewellery business. The young married couple lived in his house, according to the records because "they have just recently married and have not yet been given right of residence (T043)". Several years later Nathan Maas was again alone in the house with his own family. In all he married four times and he had six children.
In the 18th and 19th centuries the house was occupied by members of the Goldschmidt, Hertz and Schuster families.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1864 the city took over the house for demolition


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources