< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Hase

Width at front: c. 4 metres

The Goldener Hase came into being around 1630 as the renamed Roter Hut. The house was built around 1515 by the glazier Leiser and was originally called the Haus des Glasers ("Glazier's House"). From 1527 it was called the Roter Hut, not to be confused with the later Roter Hut. After the Haas family moved in, it was called Goldener Hase. It was always occupied exclusively by members of the Haas family, which came from the Roter Hase, and it was one of their three family houses. Generally, this family dealt in cloth and materials. The builder of the house was a glazier, and was one of the few craftsmen in the Judengasse. His name was Leiser, and he was the son of the cantor and black dyer Isaac, who lived in the Schlüssel.
At the end of the 17th century a member of the Haas family called Model GrotewohlHase was one of a group of 23 Jews who went to the imperial court in Vienna in September 1683. The travellers were attacked and murdered near the monastery at Neuburg.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1883 the city took over the house for demolition .


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources