< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weißer Bär

Width at front: c. 2 metres

The Weißer Bär was built in 1592. It was subdivided from its neighbour, the Schwarzer Bär. Members of the Worms family (who took their name from the city) moved into the house. One son of this family, Amschel Worms, who died on 29 October 1688, had a particularly bad reputation. He was expelled from the city in 1683 together with Bonem from Rödelheim for attacking a soldier. A year later he was discovered in the city, flogged on suspicion of theft and again expelled. His nickname was "Whore Amschel".
Around 1703 two families were living in the house who sold eggs, bread, linen and fur.
From 1710 members of the OppenheimerHeidelburg lived in the house, a branch of the Oppenheimer family. Aaron Salomon was the son of the rich "master builder" Salomon Oppenheimer, who lived in the neighbouring Schwarzer Bär. In 1710 Aaron married Miriam Emrich. He died in 1746. His three sons died unmarried.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1868 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources