< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzer Löwe

The Schwarzer Löwe was built between 1586 and 1592 by Seligmann. It was probably split off from its neighbour to the north, the Weinfaß. In 1616 Seligmann's daughter, Jidlin, married the wealthy butcher Meier from Friedberg. After his marriage he acquired right of residence in Frankfurt and moved into the house. The father's right of residence was cancelled in the same year, and he is reported as migrating to Palestine.
Meier's son, Moses Friedburg, who also lived at the Schwarzer Löwe, held the office of "master builder" in the Jewish community. He died in 1622. After this the descendents of this family, which originally came from Friedberg, called themselves simply Levi.
In 1694 there were two families living in the house. One lived from moneychanging and moneylending, the other had no occupation.
The family Friedberg or Friedburg was also the origin of the WindeckenSchnapper families. A Schnapper or Winig family lived in the house from the end of the 17th century
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1864 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources