< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarzer Hermann

Width at front: c. 4.30 metres

The Schwarzer Hermann was built in 1604. The unusual house name comes from the Frankfurt councillor and lay judge Hermann Schwarz, also known as Hermann Niger, who lived in the 13th century. A fountain near the Friedberger gate was named after him, and the figure there was presumably the model for the house sign of the Schwarzer Hermann, which showed a man with a helmet and lance.
The occupants of the house were probably relatively poor. They traded in everyday commodities like food and clothing. From the end of the 18th century until the house was demolished in 1888 one family in particular lived here, the Schames. Schames came from the Hebrew shames, a community servant. The post, which had been held by one of the early members of the family, became the family name. Later members of the family had other occupations. Jacob Schames, for example, who lived at the Schwarzer Hermann almost throughout the entire 18th century, was a rabbi.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1886 and demolished in 1888.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources