< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Kessel

Width at front: c. 3.50 metres

The Kessel was one of the few houses built during the creation of the Frankfurt ghetto in 1462. Its plot initially extended to both sides of the Judengasse; but in the course of time it was repeatedly subdivided for new buildings.
It is difficult to identify the occupants by name, since only vague references are available. We know that at the beginning of the 16th century the founder of the great Cahn family, the rabbi Nathan Kayn, lived here before the family moved to their permanent home at the Haus zur Pforte.
Around 1700 the families living here dealt in cloth and linen and commercial bills. According to the visitation list for 1703 there were also foreigners living in the house. These were a sister of the father of one of the families with her children and a maid. They came from Mannheim where they were clearly persecuted, since they are described as having fled.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1883 and demolished.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources