< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Einhorn

Width at front: c. 4.30 metres

The Einhorn was built at the close of the 15th century or in the first half of the 16th century at the corner of the small side alley which led off the Judengasse by the synagogue.
It was clearly one of the finest houses. The occupants included members of the wealthy Beer family, which was descended from the important Haas family and was also related to the rich and powerful Kann family. The visitation lists show that some of the occupants around 1700 were able to live from the interest on their assets. Shortly after there is a record of a jewel dealer. Finally, the household of Emmanuel Beer was wealthy enough to afford a manservant and three maids in 1709. This was a relatively large domestic staff for the Judengasse.
In the great fire in the Judengasse in 1711 the house was Einhorn destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. After the emancipation of the Jews it was taken over by the city in 1883 and demolished.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources