< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Birnbaum

Width at front: c. 3.70 metres

The Birnbaum was created in the second half of the 16th century when the neighbouring Buchsbaum was divided in three. Like its neighbours, which it was linked with through its structural origins, it was given a tree name as house name. To the south it bordered directly on the synagogue. The first occupants also came from the Buchsbaum, but the branch of the Buchsbaum family that moved here soon took their new house name as their family name, Birnbaum. Other families also moved in later, and particularly the Flesch family, who took their name from their family home, the Flasche, to the new house.
The heads of families living here around 1700 were mostly traders, dealing in copper and tin, silver or clothes.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources