< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Roter Hahn

Width at front: c. 2 metres

The Roter Hahn was created around 1542 by subdividing the neighbouring Rote Rose.
Besides the structural relationship between the houses, the most important occupants of the Roter Hahn, the Hahn family, also came from the Rote Rose. The Hahn family occupied the Roter Hahn for a particularly long period, up to the end of the 18th century. However, the family also had many branches, which moved to other houses in the Judengasse. These branches often took different names, and one was the famous Rothschild family. Like their famous descendants, the Hahn family were originally relatively poor. Around 1700 the visitation lists show the occupants of the Rote Rose as small shopkeepers, dealers in household articles and linen and peddlers. It was not until the 19th century, after the dissolution of the ghetto that the Hahn family achieved major success in banking.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources