< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Bisemknopf

Width at front: c. 1.90 metres

The Biesemknopf was subdivided from the Roter Hahn around 1594/95. The name is derived from a predecessor of the modern bolt.
With its frontal width of 1.90 metres the house was one of the narrowest in the Judengasse. Among its occupants was the Hahn family, whose members also lived in the two neighbouring houses, the Rote Rose and Roter Hahn. In the 18th century the house was also occupied by the Adler family, also known as Schwarzadler.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources