< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rote Rose

Width at front: c. 2.10 metres

The Rote Rose was built at the end of the 15th century, a few decades after the creation of the Frankfurt ghetto.
In the 300 years of its existence, the house was occupied by almost a dozen families. One of them was the HahnSchwelm family. This family had many branches, which spread to other houses in the Judengasse such as the neighbouring Biesemknopf and Roter Hahn. Some of its branches took other names. For example, the Hahn family gave rise to the most famous of the Frankfurt Jewish families, the Rothschilds.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources