< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silberner Leuchter

Width at front: c. 4.70 metres

The Silberner Leuchter was built in 1574 on a strip of land which had belonged to its neighbours. Its close structural links with these houses are reflected in the house names (T029): the two neighbours to the south had almost identical names, the Silberne Leuchte and Goldener Leuchter.
Some of the occupants of the three houses also came from the same families. One family in particular was the Gelhäuser with its many branches, which lived in the Silberne Leuchte and its neighbours. Over time, the individual branches of this family took different names, such as Kulp, a family which is very prominent in the history of the Judengasse. Occupants of the Silberner Leuchter later also included individual members of other important Frankfurt Jewish families, the Speyer and Oppenheimer families.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources