< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Weiße Lilie

Width at front: c. 5 metres

The Weiße Lilie was built in 1505.
For the almost three centuries of its existence, it was occupied by numerous families. One of these took the house name as its family name, calling itself Lilg. Like many of the occupants of houses in the northern part of the Judengasse they belonged to the wealthy classes. Around 1700 the families here were engaged in the cloth trade and in moneylending and banking.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources