< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldene Rose

Width at front: c. 2.10 metres

The Goldene Rose was built in 1561.
Its main occupants were members of the SchusterÖttingen and Fuld families with their extensive branches. Both of them were wealthy Frankfurt Jewish families. They were active in various kinds of trade, and in moneychanging and moneylending and banking. We know in particular that Samuel Meyer Fuld ran a substantial trading business in premises outside the Judengasse jointly with his brother, Wolf from the Holunderbaum.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources