< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Braune und gelbe Rose

Width at front: c. 4 metres

The Gelbe Rose was built in 1558. In the 1570s the rear building Braune Rose was added.
In the second century of its existence the house was occupied by several families. Most of these, like the SchusterÖttingen family, were members of the wealthy classes among the Frankfurt Jews. A very comprehensive account has been preserved of the life of one inhabitant, the "master builder" Meyer zur Gelben Rose, who lived in the house in the 17th century. He owned a lot of jewellery and precious stones. There was less tin and brass than usual among his household articles: lamps, candelabras, salt cellars and even watering cans were made of silver, knives and spoons were gilded and kept in blue satin covers. The clothing, particularly of his wife, was regarded as very luxurious. It was decorated with sequins, lage, gold and silver, scarves were worked in silver, caps edged with gold, aprons had silver fringe and belt buckles were decorated in gold and silver. This shows the wealth of the occupants of the Gelbe Rose.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources