< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rosenkranz

Width at front: c. 2.48 metres

The Rosenkranz was built in 1592 by descendants of the Gelhäuser family from the Weiße Rose. It stood on a small site between the Judengasse and the Weiße Rose. It seems to have been a relatively small house. Even so, the visitation list for 1709 shows 18 occupants, who lived by dealing in cloth and clothing.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources