< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldener Mörser

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres

The Goldener Mörser was built around 1630 by members of the Scheyer family from the neighbouring Goldene Scheuer. The branch of the family living in the Goldener Mörser then took the name Beyfuß. The Beyfuß family had a substantial business in cloth and linen. In the 18th century their descendants also moved into the moneylending and banking business. They became prosperous and were among the highest tax payers.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources