< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Schwarze Tür

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres

The Schwarze Tür was built in 1608 as a rear building to the Rote Tür.
some of the occupants were poor. In 1694 the visitation lists note that one family consisted of a "poor man and his wife". They were shown as having no occupation. The couple had a son who the visitation lists describe as feeding his poor parents from his earnings as a carrier. However, not all the occupants of the Schwarze Tür were poor. In the 18th century they included the Strauß family, which ran a cloth business in the house from 1760.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources