< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Löweneck

Width at front: c. 1.9 metres

The Löweneck was built around 1600, when the Goldener Löwe was demolished and replaced by a total of seven new buildings (two front buildings and five rear buildings). The Löweneck was the first of the five rear buildings in the Neugasse, which was a small side alley branching off the southern end of the Judengasse.
The house, which was less than two metres wide, was occupied by members of the Deutz, Schloß and Buchsbaum families. They were members of the lower classes, and relatively poor. The visitation list for 1694 explicitly describes one family as poor. The husband of the second family worked as a night watchman, a poorly paid job.
The house was destroyed in the great fire of 1711. During rebuilding it was combined with its neighbour, the Goldenes Einhorn. In 1889 it was taken over by the city and demolished.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources