< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Goldenes Einhorn

Width at front: c. 2.8 metres

The Goldenes Einhorn was built around 1600, when the Goldener Löwe was demolished and replaced by a total of seven new buildings (two front buildings and five rear buildings). The Goldenes Einhorn was the second of the five rear buildings in the Neugasse, which was a small side alley branching off the southern end of the Judengasse..
For a period the Goldenes Einhorn was an inn. For long periods it was also occupied by foreigners, who did not have right of residence. One couple in 1694 came from Worms and had already been living in Frankfurt for one and a half years. The husband worked as a nurse in the nearby hospital.
The house was destroyed in the great fire of 1711. During rebuilding it was merged with its neighbour, the Löweneck. In 1889 it was taken over by the city and demolished.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources