< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Löwengrube

Width at front: c. 1.7 metres

The Löwengrube was built around 1600, when the Goldener Löwe was demolished and replaced by a total of seven new buildings (two front buildings and five rear buildings). The Löwengrube was the last and narrowest of the five rear buildings in the Neugasse, which was a small side alley branching off the southern end of the Judengasse. The house sign of the Löwengrube ("lion's den") was chosen by the city paymaster because the house was an offshoot of the front building, the Goldener Löwe ("golden lion"). It was also the end of the culdesac.
Like the other houses at the southern end of the Judengasse the house was occupied by butchers nurses and night watchmen. All these were poorlypaid occupations, so that the occupants were mainly members of the lower classes. The records also mention "poor people" and foreigners.
The house was destroyed in the fire of 1711 but soon rebuilt. In 1884 the city took it over for demolition.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources