< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Amsel

Width at front: c. 3.40 metres

The Amsel was built in 1585, when its older neighbour Hase was remodelled. The Hase later was reduced to an appendage of the Amsel and was then probably the smallest house in the Judengasse.
The first occupant was Mosche zur Amsel, who died around 1606. His descendants are mentioned in the criminal records. Mosche's son Isaak fled from his creditors, and his other son Schlomm was arrested, tortured and expelled in 1619 for receiving stolen goods. From the mid18th century members of the Kann family, one of the oldest, richest and most powerful families in the Judengasse, lived in the house.
In the great fires in the Judengasse in 1711, 1721 and 1796 the house was destroyed three times. It was rebuilt after the first two fires, but after the 1796 fire it was decided to redevelop the entire northern end of the Judengasse on spacious lines, in the course of which the house disappeared finally.


© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources