< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 

House names /House signs

House numbers were first introduced in Frankfurt in 1761. Up to this time houses had individual names. In the Judengasse the houses were named after animals (Schwarzer Adler), plants (Weiße Rose) or objects (Goldenes Faß) or had other names like Paradies ("paradise"), Schwarzer Hermann ("Black Hermann"), Halbmond ("half moon") etc. These house names were assigned by the city paymaster and were also shown pictorially on shields, which were originally hang in front of every house in the Judengasse. The signs were also carved on the gravestones of house owners, and most of the signs have been preserved in this way.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources