< home
< back
 Infobank Judengassse Frankfurt am Main
 Houses  Persons  Families  Professions  Events  Terminology

 
 
 
 
 
 

Klause /Yeshiva

Klause, whose name comes from the Latin clusa, literally a closed room, is a place of religious instruction, generally maintained by one or more foundations. In the Klause or yeshiva Jewish students and scholars devote themselves to the study of the Talmud under the direction of the Klause rabbi.
There was a yeshiva in the Judengasse at the Warmes Bad, later named Klause. This was donated around 1680 by the Jewish benefactor Manasse Darmstädter. The house also provided lodgings for the rabbi.
The yeshiva was always used by the students for prayer, which made it one of the four synagogues in the Judengasse.




© Jüd. Museum Frankfurt 1992-2002 /  Sources